The refurbishment of 4 New Square’s Chambers in Lincoln‘s Inn with a state of the art office fit out within highly sensitive Grade 2 listed building fabric.
Lincoln’s Inn is one of four Inns of Court in London. It is separated from the surrounding area of Holborn by a brick wall that was erected in 1562. The curtilage is comprised entirely of Grade 1 & 2 Listed Buildings. ‘New Square’, as a set of eleven brick chambers, was finished in 1697. It is a site of significant English legal and historical importance, which, despite its traditional setting in which little has changed since it was first built, conceals a high tech world beneath.
4 New Square is not only an address but also the commercial identity for a leading firm of barristers of 80 practitioners that was in the process of expanding into 2 New Square adjacent. Our role was to oversee the works to 4 New Square whilst also providing The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn with design and specification advice for the refurbishment of 2 New Square in readiness of our client’s expansion into these chambers as well.
The work involved the upgrading of the data networks and also the provision of new access and security systems throughout. The integration of modern services within the heritage fabric was complex and required a sensitive approach. At the heart of the commission was a relocation of the reception in order to facilitate a joined up re-organisation of the chambers across two adjacent buildings. Bespoke designed furniture and fittings were coordinated with IT and security specialists to ensure spaces looked effortless and welcoming despite being highly serviced.